RUTO strikes deal with Harambee Stars players over affordable housing promise despite CHAN exit - ‘There is no room for cash”



Thursday, August 28, 2025 - President William Ruto has confirmed that the Government will shoulder half the cost of affordable housing units promised to Harambee Stars players, despite the team’s exit from the CHAN tournament at the quarterfinal stage.

Speaking during a luncheon with the national football team at State House, Nairobi, on Thursday, Ruto said the initiative is part of his administration’s commitment to support athletes.

“The two-bedroom house under the affordable housing programme costs Ksh2 million.”

“The Government will cover Ksh1 million, while players can settle the balance through a 20-year mortgage at Ksh2,000 to Ksh3,000 monthly,” Ruto explained.

The President had earlier promised each player a two-bedroom house under the programme, with an additional Ksh1 million incentive had they won the quarterfinals.

He expressed pride in the team’s performance, praising their resilience and determination in overcoming a tough group.

“I am immensely proud of you. The lessons from CHAN 2024 will form the foundation for your preparations toward the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations, which Kenya will co-host with Uganda and Tanzania,” he said.

Ruto stressed that the housing reward will not be converted into cash, warning players against attempting to trade or exchange the units.

“There is no room for cash. It is only the house, and you will get to choose one in a town of your choice - Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, or elsewhere,” he cautioned.

The Kenyan DAILY POST

Post a Comment

0 Comments