The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute committed to conducting high quality and policy-relevant multidisciplinary research. Our researchers address important development issues and challenges facing sub-Saharan Africa in areas such as education, population, health, aging, urbanization and wellbeing. Our goal is to generate evidence for meaningful action, engage with policy makers in the region to disseminate our research findings, influence policy decisions and improve the quality of life in Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit a Research Officer with expertise in Early Childhood Development (ECD) to work in the Maternal and Child Wellbeing Unit within the Research Division.
- Manage an early childhood development (ECD) integrated project including recruitment and training of field workers, supervision of field work, data management and scientific writing.
- Contribute to proposal development to strengthen scientific knowledge in ECD or related fields.
- Coordinate policy engagement and dissemination of project research findings to appropriate audiences.
- Take lead in preparing progress and end-of-grant reports to donors.
- Master’s degree in ECD or other relevant fields or Bachelor’s degree with extensive experience in ECD or related research.
- Good writing skills on relevant subject areas in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience in working with young children, with a strong interest in ECD.
- Experience in conducting literature reviews, particularly on ECD or related fields.
- Proven experience in conducting household surveys and/or community-based surveys.
- Either (i) strong quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data), with extensive familiarity with statistical packages (Stata, SAS or SPSS); or (ii) expertise in qualitative methods, specifically, familiarity with common qualitative analysis software packages e.g. NVivo.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel).
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work within a culturally diverse team.
- Experience working in slum or rural contexts or with pastoralist communities in Kenya.
- Experience in collecting observational data.
- Experience in community and stakeholder engagement.
- Experience and familiarity with diverse health and social science datasets.
- Experience in developing proposals and attracting research grants.
- Publication record in peer-reviewed journals focusing on ECD or related fields.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘ECD Research Officer’ by December 13, 2019. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children