The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Premised on the commitment to ‘leave no one behind’, UN Women Youth Programme in East and Southern Africa Region seeks to strengthen, support and promote youth leadership and governance in all aspects of their life in the context of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The program aims at ensuring active, strategic and meaningful engagement, and full participation of the youth, with a focus on young women and girls, in order to support the implementation of the UN Youth2030 strategy and UN Women’s “LEAP” youth strategy. It will support and promote youth leadership by integrating and prioritizing youth, and youth agendas in all UN Women’s work and that of its partners.
Reporting to Regional Director, the Programme Analyst provides programme support to the youth portfolio by contributing in the programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. The Programme Analyst supports the delivery of the Youth Programme in ESARO by analyzing results achieved during implementation and supporting appropriate application of systems and procedures. The Programme Analyst coordinates relationships with national partners and stakeholders, and the monitoring and reporting, and the finances and personnel of the portfolio.
· Coordinate the overall Programme/Portfolio work plan development and implementation according to Strategic Note/ programme document;
· Coordinating targeted interventions to promote and support youth leadership and mainstreaming across ESAR’s thematic Pillars with a strong emphasis on promoting youth rights, effective participation and inclusion in governance and decision-making processes;
· Gather inputs and coordinate the preparation of work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Programme Board and UN Women;
· Support Youth Innovations on SDGs including those bridging gender gaps;
· Establish systems for project planning, implementation and monitoring, in collaboration with partners;
· Record and maintain documents on relevant Programme activities, issues, and risks.
Provide technical support to the implementation and management of the youth programme:
· Provide inputs to the annual workplan and budget as required;
· Coordinate and monitor the implementation of youth programme activities;
· Coordinate the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
· Review and coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
· Train partners on Results Based Management.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to project/programme partners:
· Provide technical support to and technically oversee the implementation of programme activities with partners;
· Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and coordinate and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners as needed.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project:
· Gather and compile all information necessary for monitoring and reporting on programmes and projects from the planning to the evaluation stages;
· Monitor the implementation of activities and the expenditure of funds; conduct regular monitoring visits, as required;
· Draft and provide inputs to annual and quarterly reports; coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
· Provide inputs from youth programme activities and results to Country Office/Multi Country Office/Regional Office reporting.
Provide technical inputs to the management of people and finances of thematic area programme:
· Monitor budget implementation and programme activity expenditures and perform budget revisions when required;
· Provide inputs to financial reports;
· Oversee the work of Programme Associates and Assistants as needed.
Contribute To Building Partnerships And Resource Mobilization Strategies
· Provide inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
· Provide inputs to relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
· Coordinate relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Youth Programme/Portfolio, raise potential problems and suggest solutions;
· Identify capacity building needs and support partners through technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives, as needed.
Provide Inputs To Advocacy, Knowledge Building And Communication Efforts
· Provide technical inputs to background documents, briefs and presentations related to the Youth Programme;
· Coordinate and support the organization of advocacy activities and campaigns events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
· Provide inputs to the development of knowledge management products on the youth programme.
· Respect for Diversity;
· Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
· Creative Problem Solving;
· Effective Communication;
· Inclusive Collaboration;
· Stakeholder Engagement;
· Leading by Example.
· Programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
· Knowledge of Results Based Management;
· Good budget and finance skills;
· Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings;
· Good analytical skills;
· Enhanced best practices and lessons learned documented and circulated.
Required Skills and Experience
· At least 1 year of relevant work experience in development of programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building preferably related the field of youth programming;
· At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in managing complex and multi-component programme interventions with national partners;
· Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
· Experience in the use of ATLAS or related software is an asset;
· Experience in the providing operations support, including procurement, human resource and logistics is an asset;
· Experience in coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development programmes and projects is an asset;
· Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
· Fluency in English is required;
· Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.