Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Vacant Positions: Field Officer (Phone Surveys) – Universal Basic Income (UBI) Project
Reporting To: Senior Field Officer
Start Date: 9th October, 2019
Duration: 2 Months
Deadline to Apply: 3rd October,2019
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: A universal basic income (UBI) is a recurring, unconditional cash transfer sized to meet basic needs and paid to all members of a society. Proponents argue that a UBI has the potential to eliminate extreme poverty and to counteract the harmful effects of rising inequality in wealthier countries. The objective of the project is to test the hypothesis that a universal basic income is an effective way to eliminate extreme global poverty.
This is a central policy question currently being debated in several emerging markets, both in developed and developing countries, and is also highly relevant for foreign aid policy.
In addition to informing policy debates over the adoption of a UBI, our study design will also let us address two deeper conceptual questions about the design of social protection in the emerging markets. IPA is partnering with Give Directly which is already involved in delivering cash transfers as part of two large-scale randomized controlled trials – one on the general equilibrium effects of cash transfers, and one on the role of aspirations.
About the Position: Reporting to the Senior Field Officer, the Field Officer will primarily be responsible for collection of high-quality data via phone surveys.
He/she will be predominantly based in the IPA Siaya office.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Timely collection of quality data by conducting surveys, interviews and other scheduled activities by telephone and by rigorously following the study protocol with minimal supervision
· Interacting with respondents and project partners with the highest level of integrity and understanding.
· Ensure that data integrity is always maintained and minimize errors in data collection and transmission.
· Creating and sustaining a positive relationship with the study respondents
· Providing study management team with regular feedback on data collection activities.
· 10 % of the time, performing office duties such as translation work, filing, making of phone calls to identified respondents to schedule visits, and other duties as assigned and directed by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
· A bachelor’s degree or a diploma with one years’ experience
· Excellent oral and written communication in English and Swahili. Language skills in Luo and Kipsigis are advantageous.
· Ability to handle and speak with people from diverse cultural back grounds
· Ability to work independently and as a part of the team.
· Experience with data collection using both paper surveys and computerized surveys.
· Ability to be flexible and comfortable interviewing both illiterate and high cadre individuals while maintaining professionalism.
· Basic computing knowledge and skills – Mandatory.
· Experience in electronic data collection using SurveyCTO, ODK or any other CAIs.
· Knowledge and ability to communicate in local languages spoken in Siaya and Bomet Counties.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a demanding environment including weekends.
· Prior experience conducting phone surveys is very desirable
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer-UBI Project-Siaya. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant at any recruitment stage.