African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
Job Vacancy: Research Assistant – Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI)
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a Pan-African non-profit, research institute committed to conducting high-quality research on urbanization, population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
The Center has a three-pronged approach to its program activities: conducting policy-relevant research on aging, education, health, population, and urbanization issues in Africa; developing research skills of African scholars and institutions; and engaging policymakers with research evidence.
APHRC is implementing a member-driven initiate in education dubbed the Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI).
RELI brings together several institutions working towards improving learning outcomes in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.
RELI’s long-term goal is to empower its members to become more effective and influential organizations in improving education outcomes in the region.
This is envisioned to be achieved through better coordination and alignment of member organization needs, improved learning outcomes, policy influence and thematic principles of good practice.
To this end, APHRC seeks to recruit a temporary research assistant to support in managing and documenting the data generated by RELI as well as work closely with other RELI entities to support learning.
The position will be based at APHRC, Nairobi, Kenya and may include some travels from the home country to specified meetings organized by RELI Coordinator and or the country leads.
The role of the assignment includes
1. Collate and organize different reports and data generated by RELI through its various activities, processes, and interactions
2. Support the coordinator follow through with the country leads, MEL mentors and learning catalysts and obtain the necessary reports
3. Support in a building/creating a system to manage the knowledge emanating from the RELI platform including and not limited in NVIVO and google document
4. Monthly updating of the knowledge management system with materials emanating from RELI interactions and activities
5. Provide the first level of synthesis of the various pieces of data and information as agreed with the lead synthesizers and the Principal Investigators
6. Track and document the RELI process including conducting one on one interviews with relevant persons as will be agreed upon by the support team and RELI Hub…Working with the PIs and the synthesizer develop coding schemes/tree end apply the same to materials in NVIVO
7. Participation in RELI learning activities, and support meetings – and supporting in capturing and catalyzing learning
8. Any other activity as may be assigned
1. Knowledge of qualitative research methods and the use of NVIVO
2. Knowledge of the field of education, with special emphasis on education issues in East Africa
3. Good writing and analytical skills
4. Ability to analyze and synthesize various education issues
· At least a Bachelor’s degree in either Education, Sociology, Psychology, Economics or any other relevant field.
· At least one year experience on qualitative methods including transcription, coding, and analysis
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their CVs and cover letter clearly detailing how they fit the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Research Assistant –RELI’ by September 27, 2019.
PLEASE NOTE APPLICANTS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE ANY PAYMENTS DURING ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
(APHRC) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children.