Sunday September 22, 2019-Wiper Party leader Kalonzo Musyoka and former Gichugu MP Martha Karua are among those who are set to be promoted President Uhuru Kenyatta.
The two veteran lawyers are among more than 20 lawyers selected by the Law Society of Kenya for conferment of the rank of senior counsel.
The list was compiled by the Senior Counsel Committee, paves the way for them to join the elite and exclusive club whose membership includes James Orengo, Prof. Tom Ojienda, Paul Muite, Hon. Prof. Githu Muigai, Hon. Dr. Willy Mutunga among others.
The LSK website lists 26 senior counsel members. However, two of those listed (Joe Okwach and Mutula Kilonzo) are deceased, reducing the number to 24.
The names which were selected from a pool of 90 applicants will be forwarded to Chief Justice David Maraga who will then present them to President Uhuru Kenyatta for gazetting shortly afterwards.
Included in the list are some of the finest brains in the field and household names in legal practice.
Below are others on the list.
1. Kalonzo Musyoka
2. Martha Karua
3. Philip Murgor (former Director of Public Prosecutions)
4. Fred Ngatia (veteran lawyer)
5. Dorcas Oduor (Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions)
6. Judy Thongori (renowned family lawyer)
7. Kioko Kilikumi
8. Patricia Nyaundi, (former CEO of the defunct Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission-TJRC)
9. John Ohaga (renowned arbitrator)
10. Rautta Athiambo
11. Wilfred Nderitu
12. Prof Albert Mumma
13. Pravin Bowry
14. John Chigiti
The Kenyan DAILY POST