Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Administrative Manager
Department: Operations – MILE Project
Salary Grade: 4
Country /Location: Kenya / Marsabit
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Background: CRS, representing a consortium of international non-governmental organizations, local implementing partners and research institutions has submitted a proposal to USAID Office of Food for Peace (FFP) to implement a 5-year Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) in Kenya.
CRS has named its proposed program Mfumo Imara Lishe Endelevu (MILE). The overarching goal of this multi-sectoral activity is to sustainably reduce levels of acute malnutrition in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs), focusing on Isiolo and Marsabit counties. The activity will be implemented in two phases:
· Phase I (1.5-2 years) Research, test approaches and collaboratively design a context-sensitive, multi-sectoral activity that sustainably reduces acute malnutrition.
· Phase II (3- 3.5 years): Activity Implementation and System and Institutional Strengthening
Job Summary: The Administrative Assistant will provide service in the day-to-day delivery of responsive, effective and efficient administrative activities in support of MILE project operations in Marsabit County. S/he will support the Administrative Manager and provide consistent and high-quality service and contribute to the proper stewardship of resources to help ensure operational effectiveness in support of high-quality programming.
· Facilitate communication with all units of the County Office and external stakeholders as relevant. Send/receive and distribute all incoming and outgoing correspondence.
· Provide specialized administrative transactions and processes (e.g. translate, type, proofread, and/or format documents; record and transcribe meeting minutes; draft simple correspondence messages).
· Prepare transactional documents in support of general operations processes and support coordination of transaction processing (e.g. payment requests, travel authorizations, travel advances, visas, etc.).
· Compile data perform data entry and data verification in relation to general administration processes (e.g. various contact lists, employee leave schedules, staff attendance reports, Vehicle Log Sheets review, visitors’ welcome packages, etc.).
· Support travel and logistics arrangements for staff and visitors to the county office. Schedule and coordinate appointments. Provide logistical and communication support to event planning activities.
· Support implementation of property management processes, such as property receipt and distribution, property labeling, physical counts, etc. Manage office assets and ensure the asset register is up to date, accurate and with quality information and data
· Provide administrative and clerical support to HR transactions and processes
· Prepare and process transactional documents for payment purposes
· Provide day-to-day HR assistance to sub-offices as requested
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
· Diploma in Business Administration/Management or relevant field
· Two years’ experience working in an office environment in a clerical or administrative role. Experience with a local or international NGO a plus.
· Additional education may substitute for some experience.
· Experience with typing/word processing, data entry into online databases and forms, and working with various office equipment, systems and procedures.
· Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) and information management systems. Proficient in Word.
· Ability to recognize sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality of information
· Ability and willingness to work in multicultural set up.
· Experience living/working in Marsabit County a plus
· Good time management and coordination skills with ability to work on multiple tasks
· Strong customer service orientation with good communication and interpersonal skills
· Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
· Attention to detail and ability to work under pressure
· Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available.
Required / Desired Foreign Language: Kiswahili, English
Travel Required: None
Key Working Relationships:
· Internal: Administrative Manager, Head of Operations, Chief of Party MILE, DCOP Operations MILE, System Strengthening Specialist Marsabit, County Research Coordinator, MILE Program team, and Nairobi based operations staff.
· External: Local government officials, Local/international NGO offices, and UN agencies operating in the project area.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Continuous Improvement & Innovation
· Builds Relationships
· Develops Talents
· Strategic Mindset
· Accountability and Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Monday September 30, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer