Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Vacant Position: Senior Field Officer – Participatory Budgeting Project
Reporting To: Field Manager
Start Date: 23rd September 2019
Duration: 1 Month
Deadline to Apply: 16th September 2019
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only.
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: The Kenya Participatory Budgeting Initiative (KPBI) builds on international practices supporting public participation and social accountability at both the county and national levels.
The monitoring project leverages opportunities in Kenya to pilot new monitoring techniques, better understand Kenyan Participatory Budgeting programs, and use this knowledge to inform Participatory Budgeting design and operation throughout the country.
The result will be a better understanding of how Participatory Budgeting impacts citizens in Kenya as well as a foundation for expanding novel, knowledge-generating monitoring techniques across all of Kenya’s Participatory Budgeting programs.
About the Position: The Senior Field Officer under the general supervision of the Field Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies will assist to coordinate and facilitate survey field activities and functions. Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Senior Field Officer, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Field Manager/Research Manager.
This position will be based in Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet and Makueni Counties and with up to 90% of field travel across all sub counties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Data collection management which includes: Assist in survey translations, overseeing, monitoring, conducting data collection and survey field work, planning field work and field logistics.
· Work closely with field staff to develop work schedules before any field activities begin. Discuss and seek the approval of the AFM/FM/RM on the work schedules make changes/adapt if necessary, following the outcomes of these discussions.
· Ensure that all the field teams have all necessary material/tools required for the data collection. This must be made available on time.
· Attend an intensive one-week training
· Must lead teams during field practice and provide feedback on questionnaire and Survey CTO programming.
· Ensure completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner including keeping logs of work accomplished and call backs.
· Organizing data collected from the field and providing feedback on field operations and survey instruments.
· Conduct spot checks, back checks, sit-ins and enforce feedback from HFCs that will inform and monitor improvements.
· Operations management which includes taking and updating inventory of all project items, participating in general procurement and logistics for the project and liaising with the operations department for necessary action.
· Building and maintaining relationships with civil administrators and community officials and representing IPAK at stakeholder meetings.
· The SFO will identify and network with representatives from all relevant projects operating in the same areas as the project, to avoid/inform decisions where contamination of results is concerned.
· Financial management which includes proper budgeting and monitoring field expenses while ensuring the project keeps detailed accounts of all project activities.
· Human resource management which includes: Supervision, monitoring and appraisal of FOs.
· Develop and discuss a supervision plan with the team leaders and other field staff.
· Monitor staff attendance and updating attendance records including leave forms and to enforce all human resource policies and procedures in coordination with IPAK’s Human
Resource Manager and the Field Manager (FM)
Resource Manager and the Field Manager (FM)
· The SFO will be expected to report to the FM on activities and plans. Also, s/he will be required to participate in weekly meetings with the AFM/FM and RM.
· Other tasks as assigned by the AFM/FM/RM.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in social sciences, public policy, or related fields.
· 2-3 years of field management experience with extensive experience supervising and implementing data collection and managing staff.
· Prior work experience in data collection using SurveyCTO and managing electronic data collection systems.
· Excellent management and organizational skills
· Demonstrated ability to manage data collection at various levels (planning, piloting, collecting, backchecking, financial budgeting and reporting, human resources and team building)
· Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and team player
· Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
· Strong communication skills with fluency in the local languages spoken in the study areas a must i.e. Tugen, Pokot, Kamba, Marakwet, Keiyo but also English and Swahili
· Demonstrated ability in community sensitization.
· Experience in conducting data quality checks for quantitative data.
· Experience in developing work plan, survey tracking and reporting.
· Previous experience working in Makueni, Elgeyo Marakwet or Baringo County
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer PB Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.