Job Advert: Head of Legal and Company Secretary
Serve as the Chief Legal advisor for the Board of Directors and the Bank, advisor on legal/regulatory and compliance risk management and Secretary to the Board.
· Administer the legal affairs of the Bank, provide in-house legal research and advice, and manage relationships with external legal advisors for:
1. correct perfection of Bank’s securities
2. efficient management of the litigation portfolio
3. negotiation of agreements/contracts on behalf of the Bank
· Coordinating all commercial legal related matters with the Bank’s external counsel.
· Providing legal advice to management and board as well as identifying new or modified laws and regulations that may affect the Bank’s business and advising management.
· Evaluating legal risks posed by new business activities, products etc. and advising management.
· Assist in structuring of business transactions to minimize legal risks
· Develop and maintain efficient and effective relationships with external counsel, as well as review the performance of the panel of lawyers against the agreed upon SLA’s.
· Scrutinize of all credit and security documents to certify the completeness and correctness
· Preparing and reviewing contracts and other legal documents (facility letters, chattels mortgages, SLAs, contracts)
· Liaise with external lawyers for perfection of security and maintain a bi-weekly schedule of outstanding securities
· Custodian of contracts, certificates, licenses and other legal documents
· Co-ordinate litigation for and against the company.
· Keeping abreast of developments in Corporate Governance practices and advice the business accordingly.
· Serve as central liaison for all engagements with Regulatory authorities
· Review of all Bank’s standard documents from time to time
· In charge of the bank’s Compliance
· Support to Risk and Compliance by ensuring that Bank’s procedures and laid down instructions are followed to minimize legal risks
· Prepare legal risk reports when so required
· Ensuring the regulator is updated promptly on changes in board membership and direct reports to the managing director
· Preparing the application for renewal of the different licenses and policies, annually, within the prescribed time frame;
· Coordinating board and management committee meetings, preparing Board papers, managing attendance of the meetings and ensure minutes are kept
· Preparing, distributing and co-ordinating the follow-up of minutes and matters arising from board and other management committee meetings
· Convening and servicing annual general meetings (AGM) meetings (producing agendas, taking minutes; conveying decisions among other tasks.);
· Providing support to committees and working parties such as the Board of Directors, Board Committees, other banks committee;
· Handling correspondence before and after meetings;
· Providing legal/financial advice during and outside of meetings.
· Secure client financial information and maintain the Bank’s policy and procedure manuals
· Attended to and resolved shareholders’ and directors’ queries and issues.
Education / Qualifications:
· University degree – LLB from recognized university
· Possession of Masters (LL.M, MBA is an added advantage)
· Banking qualifications (AKIB, ACIB is an added advantage)
· Advocate of the High Court
· Experience/Background expected from the job holder:
· An experienced Advocate of the High Court with good exposure to wide complex commercial, conveyancing and debt recovery work pertaining to Banks
· Experience in general company secretarial duties
· Exposure to general banking operations
· Experience in dealing with different stakeholders and diversified viewpoints, and ability to look at issues from multiple dimensions
Job Advert: Head of Risk and Compliance
Responsible for overseeing and implementing the Bank’s risk management and compliance framework of the Bank.
Identify, Assess, Mitigate, Monitor and Report on industry dynamics that may /not impact the Bank’s performance and/or risk exposures.
Reporting Line – Administratively to the MD and functionally to the Board Audit and Risk Committee of the Bank
· Oversee review and implementation of the Bank’s existing risk management framework, and compliance with standard operating procedures by all staff of the bank.
· Champion the integration of risk management into the strategy of the Bank.
· Participate in all management committee meetings to provide perspectives on Risk and Compliance for all deliberations.
· Manage risk profile mapping for new products, processes and procedures in compliance with company and regulatory policies.
· Oversee and implement tracking of the following, and ensure that the recommendations have been implemented within agreed time frame provided in the inter-departmental service level agreements:
1. Audit recommendations
2. Incident reports
3. Compliance recommendations
4. Customer Complaints reports
5. Business Impact Analysis
6. Risk Control Self-Assessment reports
· Oversee compilation of summary of Regulatory, Board, Group and Management reports, statistics, trend analysis on overdue recommendations and risk profiles monthly, quarterly and yearly.
· Escalation of overdue recommendations to Executive management, and review reports for monitoring risk of the Bank as may be required
· Organize and monitor bank wide training on Business Continuity Planning, Risk Management and Compliance, AML/KYC and CFT
· Policies, Procedures and Processes review, tracking, updating, and custodianship.
· Oversee, develop and implement Bank wide Risk Awareness Initiatives
· Oversee implementation and tracking of Bank risk assessment programs as required by regulations and the board of directors.
· Identifying and developing Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), Key Risk Indicators (KRI’s), key controls and trend indicators as relating to bank wide regulatory and internal risk and compliance requirements.
· Assist with and coordinate the development of tools to identify, assess, mitigate and monitor risk across the Bank.
· Assume the role of the bank’s Money Laundering Reporting Officer;
· Ensure that all mandatory reports are duly rendered by the Bank.
· Ensuring a culture of compliance in the Bank
· Assess and monitor compliance with all department and bank policies, procedures and regulations to include
· Know Your Customer and Anti-Money Laundering Policies.
· Liaise with external regulators and law enforcement agencies on the compliance responsibilities of the Bank and maintaining open, honest and transparent relationship with these stakeholders;
· Provide periodic reports to the Board and senior management to keep them abreast of the compliance activities and regulatory developments
· Ensure proper sanctions and PEP management by the Bank.
· Receive reports of all suspicious activity on money laundering from all staff of the bank
· Report forthwith to the Financial Reporting Centre, any transaction or activity that you have reason to believe is suspicious in the form and manner prescribed by regulators
· Receive disclosures, from all staff, of and take action on all suspicious activity available to the bank so as not to delay the reporting of such disclosures
· Apply internal risk management procedures on suspicious transactions once disclosures are received on the same
· Monitor and ensure that all regulatory returns are duly rendered by the relevant units of the Bank
· Review all new products to ensure compliance with the AML/CFT standards
· Recruit, motivate and assess the performance of the staff within the Risk and Compliance unit of the bank.
· The types/nature of problems/decisions that the jobholder must refer to his superior for appropriate action.
· Tracking of recommendations raised by Internal Audit, Compliance, Risk and any other issues raised.
· Feedback to Regulator, Group, Management, Departments, Units and Branches
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Commerce, Finance, Law or related subjects.
· 5 to 8 years’ experience in financial services, of which at least 4 years were in a managerial capacity within a risk and / or compliance function. Investment management experience in an advantage.
· A sound understanding of Enterprise Risk and Compliance Management principles and philosophies.
· Knowledge of the Kenya Financial Services Industry and regulatory frameworks.
· Prior experience of designing and implementing risk and compliance management policies, procedures and processes.
· Possess superior knowledge of credit, operational, market, compliance and legal risk management best practices.
· Capacity for sound judgment and the ability to think strategically.
· Strong prowess of articulation and presentation required both in the preparation of policies / strategies & presentation of the same to Senior Management.
· Ability to analyse and interpret large volumes of data, An ability to understand and interpret financial information and principles
· Well-developed time management and organization skills including the ability to manage competing priorities in a high-pressure environment.
· Excellent leadership skills and experience, with an ability to inspire loyalty and enthusiasm
How to Apply
If you are up to the challenge & fit the required profile, please apply highlighting your qualification, experience and career aspirations match the requirement for this position.
Application should be sent latest 16th August 2019 clearly indicating the position you are applying for on the Subject to: email@example.com