Job Vacancies: Primary School Teachers
Starting Gross Salary: KES 40,000 – 50,000
Xavier Project has been working in Kenya and Uganda for last 10 years offering education opportunities to refugees of all- ages.
Our mission is to ensure that refugees are able to lead safe and fulfilled lives, whatever their background and we believe education is the best tool to achieve this.
Xavier Project is primarily an education focused NGO, and while we have media and livelihoods programmes educational interventions make up the core of our activities within these programmes.
Xavier Project is registered as a local NGO in Uganda, an international NGO in Kenya and a company and charity in UK.
All operations are in Kenya and Uganda, but a majority of funds are raised in UK.
We have a three way partnership agreement between the branches of Xavier Project and one executive team primarily based in the Xavier Project headquarters in Nairobi.
Job Description and Expectations
Xavier Project is running an Accelerated Education Program (AEP) in Umoja (Nairobi ) and Kitengela (on the outskirts of Nairobi) to support the education of urban refugee youth who have missed out on primary school for prolonged periods of time for different reasons.
The Accelerated Education Program (AEP) aims at ensuring that such youth (aged 14-23 years) have access to basic education through the non-formal primary Education curriculum provided by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD).We are therefore looking for qualified P1 teachers with appropriate experience to help fulfil this mandate.
Xavier Project is looking for teachers who will under the supervision of an Education Officer performance of the following functions:
· Ensure regular school attendance of at least 100 pupils.
· Teach all the 5 Primary School subjects across the different levels: (English, Kiswahili, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies)
· Prepare schemes of work, lesson plans and notes, and relevant teaching & learning resources
· Maintain relevant records including: daily attendance, record of work covered, meetings, assessments, inventories etc.
· Carry out daily registration and ensure continuous learning, safety, welfare and comfort of all the learners
· Profile all attending learners in terms of language and academic competencies and offer appropriate remedial support
· Identify and document any psycho-social needs of learners and offer appropriate guidance and counselling and /or referrals to relevant partners
· Hold and document regular consultative forums with the Learning Center Committee as the Secretary
· Arrange regular meetings with each learner’s parent/guardian to review progress and advice on improvement
· Hold relevant activities and events that enhance the learning progress and talent development of all learners
· Help clean and maintain the Learning Center including furniture and learning materials and ensure their safety and security
· Any other relevant duty that may be assigned to you from time to time
· Education – Professional Teacher Training (minimum P1)
· Teachers Service Commission (TSC) Registration
· Diploma/Degree in Education will be added advantage
· Minimum 4 years teaching in a primary school.
· Ability to prepare pupils for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examinations.
Skills and Competencies:
· Interactive and innovative teaching approaches
· Ability to effectively handle youth of diverse background.
· Computer literacy is desirable
· Knowledge of refugee and human rights is a plus
· Working experience in guidance and counselling
Expectations of Xavier Project
· The Xavier Project is a tight community and strong support network is offered to all members. We are diverse, representing 5 nationalities.
· Xavier Project is committed to ensuring that all staff members enjoy their work and gain valuable experience and skills that will enhance their impact now and in the future. As such as we run regular staff capacity building programmes and we encourage all staff members to pursue opportunities which will help them to grow individually.
· This will be a 4 month contract ending in December 2019 with possibility of renewal depending on performance and availability of funds.
Method of Application
Candidates interested in applying for this job should send their cover letter and CV with names and contact details of 2 referees to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 15th of August 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: Xavier Project does not charge applicants any recruitment fee for gaining employment and does not ask for money deposits for job offers.