The Spatial Repellents (SR) project is funded by UNITAID and seeks to fill the gaps for assessing spatial repellent products efficacy, deployment and uptake strategies. In this regard, Kenya has been selected as the site for conducting the epidemiological evaluation of spatial repellent product efficacy in a high malaria transmission setting. This study will be conducted in Busia County over the next two years. The project seeks to fill the following position(s).
Position: Research Officer MR 11
Location: Busia County with residence around the KEMRI ALUPE Campus in Busia
Duration: One (1) year with a possibility of extension
Reporting to: Principal Investigator
· BSc Nursing plus MSc Epidemiology or MPH from a recognized University. Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB. ChB) with MSc Epidemiology or MPH will also be considered.
· MSc in Epidemiology, Public Health or related field
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· At least 3 years professional experience in epidemiological research relevant to the transmission and/or control of tropical infectious diseases
· Previous experience working in a multi-disciplinary team including with ministry of health teams and community health worker teams
· Strong hands-on experience with current methods of epidemiology surveillance; having worked in a multidisciplinary, multi-site project will be an added advantage
· Strong supervisory and management skills
· Strong data management and analysis skills
· Strong project budgeting skills
· Possession of a valid certificate in human subjects research protection (Mandatory but can be acquired during in-processing)
· Ability to work independently, in a timely manner and under minimum supervision
· Willingness to reside in field study sites
· Experience working in/with a Public health Institutions
· The primary role of the SR Epidemiology Program Manager will be to oversee the implementation of the epidemiologic components of the study during the conduct of the SR study in consultation with the Social Science and Entomology Program Managers
· Lead the development of an epidemiological surveillance plan and standard operating procedures for all activities under the surveillance plan. Manage and supervise field-based
· epidemiology team of >35 people including clinical officers and community interviewers, to ensure adherence to SOPs for participant enrolment and monthly follow ups. Manage and supervise laboratory-based teams comprising microscopists and lab technologists based at the KEMRI ALUPE Campus.
· Coordinate activities of field staff, laboratory staff and data management staff to ensure seamless flow of activities and data
· Data cleaning and summaries of all epidemiological data including preliminary analysis in consultation with the PI and data manager.
· Preparation of Epidemiological reports and submission of the same to the PI in a timely fashion
· Oversight of procurement and inventory supplies and equipment for the epidemiology component of the study
· Implement capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians.
· Participate in planning meetings and scheduled conference calls with the study team and study partners
· Perform any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time
Terms of Employment: One (1) year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a Probation period for the first 3 months.
Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on education levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI scales plus supplemental amounts.
How To Apply
· Letter of application (Indicate vacancy No.)
· All applicants must meet each selection criteria detailed in the minimum requirements.
· Must include a current CV with names of at least 2 referees.
· Must include copies of academic and professional certificates.
· Must include a copy of Certificate of good conduct
· Must have KRA Certificate of Tax compliance
· Must have Clearance Certificate from HELB
· Must have credit reference Bureau Certificate
Apply to Deputy Director, CGHR, P.O. Box 1578-40100, Kisumu not later than August 13, 2019.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted