Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Vacant Position: Senior Field Officer– Universal Basic Income (UBI) Project
Reporting To: Senior Field Officer
START DATE: 16th September, 2019
DURATION: 3 Months
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 18th August,2019
ELIGIBILITY: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to
global poverty problems.
global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: The Senior Field Officer under the general supervision of the Associate Field Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies will implement
survey field activities and functions.
survey field activities and functions.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Senior Field Officer, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Associate Field Manager.
The commitment sought for this position is a minimum of 3 months. This position will be based in Bomet with up to 90% of field travel across all sub counties in Bomet County.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Building and maintaining relationships with civil administrators and community officials and representing IPAK at stakeholder meetings
· Other tasks as assigned by the project management
Field Activities Work Planning & Reporting
· Coordinating with FO’s to schedule survey appointments and set up the necessary logistics for the same.
· Work closely with field staff to develop work schedules before any field activities begin
· Discuss and seek the approval of the AFM on work schedules, make changes/adapt if necessary, following the outcomes of these discussions
· Ensure that all the field teams have all the necessary materials/tools required for data collection. This must be made available on time
· Support the AFM in the development of field performance tracking documents and communicate the performance to the AFM
· Facilitate/assign payment of field guides and respondent gifts during field activities, track and keep records for accountability purposes
· Ensure the records from every respondent/village/enterprise survey are kept/ saved appropriately for future references.
· Communicate promptly challenges and issues arising from the field to the AFM/RA
· The SFO will be expected to report to the AFM daily/weekly on activities and plans. Also, s/he will be required to participate in weekly meetings with the AFM, FM and RA and submit weekly reports
Implementation: Data Collection and Management
· Must lead teams during field practice and provide feedback on questionnaire and Survey CTO programming
· Develop an excellent understanding of the survey and provide on the spot training and refresher trainings whenever necessary.
· Ensure completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner including keeping logs of work accomplished and call backs
· Organizing data collected from the field and providing feedback on field operations and survey instruments
· Conduct spot checks, back checks, sit-ins and enforce feedback from HFCs that will inform and monitor improvements
· The SFO will identify and network with representatives from all relevant projects operating in the same areas as the project, to avoid/inform decisions where contamination of results is concerned
· Supervise Field Officers conducting the various survey tools and provide feedback to the AFM.
· Assist in trouble shooting issues related to the survey as they arise in the field, escalating to the AFM whenever necessary
· Data collection management which includes: Assist in survey translations into local languages, overseeing, monitoring, conducting data collection and survey field work, planning field work and field logistics, collecting field reports from field officers daily and ensuring data is uploaded to the server promptly
· Human resource management which includes: supervision, monitoring and appraisal of FOs.
· Develop and discuss a supervision plan with the team leaders and other field staff
· Monitor staff attendance and updating attendance records including leave forms and to enforce all human resource policies and procedures in coordination with IPAK’s Human Resource Manager and the Associate Field Manager (AFM)
Logistics, Finance and Inventory Management
· Operations management which includes taking and updating inventory of all project items, participating in general procurement and logistics for the project and liaising with the operations department for necessary action
· Ensure that all the tablets, chargers, power banks and routers are in good working condition
· Track project expenses and relay field costs to Associate Field Manager for tracking purposes.
· Financial management which includes proper budgeting and monitoring of field expenses while ensuring the project keeps detailed accounts of all project expenditure.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in social sciences, economics, public policy, or related fields.
· At least 1 year of field research experience. Extensive experience in implementing data collection.
· Previous experience in translation and survey administration.
· Demonstrated experience in data collection at various levels (planning, piloting and collecting)
· Excellent management and organizational skills
· Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and team player
· Excellent verbal communication skills with fluency in Kalenjin is preferred, but also English and Swahili
· Previous tablet-based survey experience / computer literate.
· Willingness to use any means of travel including walking, riding on bikes (Boda boda) and willing to travel to rural parts of Bomet County.
· Experience conducting quantitative data collection especially conducting surveys using SurveyCTO, ODK or any other CAI’s.
· Experience in developing work plans, survey tracking and reporting
· Demonstrated ability to work in demanding environment including weekends.
To apply CLICK HERE
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer-UBI Project-Bomet. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant at any recruitment stage.