Risk & Compliance Lead (Internal Audit & Corporate Compliance)
Role Purpose Statement
The Compliance Manager will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a robust and effective compliance framework. He will provide assurance to the Audit & Risk Board Committee around compliance with all relevant regulations and industry legislation. The Company expects the Compliance Manager will adopt the highest standards of compliance and governance, in line with best practice, laws, regulatory and internal policy standards.
· Assist with developing and implementing a risk-based compliance monitoring programme, identifying, assessing, monitoring and reporting all material compliance risks.
· Monitor, track and report on closure of corrective actions committed to by Management in relation to exceptions identified by regulators and auditors.
· Ensure that compliance procedures, systems and controls are up-to-date and effective.
· Maintain the compliance manual and all compliance procedure documentation.
· Proactively identify Compliance and business risk exposures from emerging changes in laws and business trends (including competitors’ activities and economic and political change) and support stakeholders in actions towards mitigating the risks.
· Assist with the compliance risk assessment processes ensuring that the compliance risks are appropriately identified and assessed.
· Coordinate risk management structures to enable CEO & MD and Management to develop specific measures in line with the Company’s risk appetite.
· Maintain an understanding of relevant regulatory requirements to provide advice and guidance to CEO& Managing Director, The Head of Internal Audit and other senior managers enabling them to implement compliant policies and procedures.
· Review and recommend actions towards compliance with audit and regulatory inspection findings on risk exposures while monitoring / tracking and coordinating adherence to corrective action plans agreed to by Management.
· Be responsible for day to day management of employee training, including providing regular training to employees on compliance matters, including internal policies and procedures, the application of standards and guidelines, and relevant laws and regulatory requirements, promoting and enhancing a strong company-wide compliance culture.
· Assist with preparing standard and ad-hoc information and data reports to regulators and other stakeholders as required.
· Prepare and manage on regular basis appropriate timely management information on compliance and regulatory issues to Audit & Risk Committee and Head of Internal Audit including suggested mitigating actions.
· Provide Compliance and Risk reports on completion of reviews to the relevant functional Heads and Management for remedial action. Collaborate with Internal Audit to fill all disclosed gaps.
· Assist with preparing and coordinating ad-hoc reports on compliance developments as required.
Policy and Procedure Development
· Challenging the Company and recommend amendments to the internal policies, procedures and processes, where applicable, based on the identified and assessed gaps associated with the Company’s business activities.
· Review compliance policies and procedures on a regular basis to ensure they comply with statutory and regulatory requirements.
· Where relevant participate in the development and implementation of other policies and procedures, ensuring regulatory and legislative requirements are met.
· Coordinate and maintain relationships with various internal and external stakeholders, including regulators, to ensure ease of communication, information sourcing, achievement of timely responses to queries and ensuring that the Company’s views are appropriately represented.
· Facilitate the supervisory activity of regulators.
· To build and oversee the development and maintenance of a Compliance and risk management staff training program, to ensure knowledge gaps are eliminated and critical compliance knowledge requirements are disseminated to staff on an ongoing basis.
Skills, Competencies and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business related course and regulatory understanding.
· Knowledge of internal controls and risk assessment methodologies.
· Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements and risk management principles.
· Ability to anticipate and mitigate risk by developing appropriate Risk Management Policies for all business units in company,
· Excellent knowledge of National and International Compliance Standards, Capital Markets Act, and other relevant Legislations,
· Top notch understanding of the regulatory issues, reporting and operational requirement,
· Ability to quickly grasp and understand systems and keen to detail,
· Ability to design functional risk management within the parameters of broader Enterprise Risk policies, practices and capabilities,
· Ability to build strong internal relationships,
· Ability to conduct risk workshops and/or training.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Good communication skills
· Organizing and planning skills
KQ Health Head
Role Purpose Statement
Responsible for developing and implementing health and safety strategy policies and procedures that promote provision of efficient healthcare services that ensures a healthy productive workforce and responds appropriately to aviation health issues. This is for the whole KQ network including the outstations.
Wholly charged with providing the overall strategic business and operational leadership to provide high quality health services and offerings and to realize profitable growth of KQ Medical profit Centre.
Provide active leadership to the health professionals in providing high quality health care to all staff and clients.
· Ensure efficient provision of high-quality health care services to assure a healthy workforce that can support the business achieve both individual and company aspirations.
· Responsible for business development and marketing activities for overall business growth as well as formulating and implementing business development strategies and marketing plans.
· Liaison and relationship management of various stakeholders and partners as well as any franchisees in further development of the KQ Health offerings and services.
· Identifying, implementing and benchmarking best practices in healthcare management for consideration in improving offerings, services and employee/client experience.
· Fostering partnerships and maintaining business relations with key industry players in healthcare and aviation medicine to ensure that KQ stays current on emerging trends in the said areas.
· Develop, implement & review a comprehensive health & safety strategy & policy to ensure high Standards of Health & Safety, which are in line with business needs and objectives.
· Oversight and accountability for preparation, monitoring and controlling of the health & safety budget for effective cost control.
· Identify & recommend health providers/partners to ensure a comprehensive health service delivery and effective cost control.
· Institute monitor & evaluate occupational health & safety programmes for proactive management of risks at the workplace.
· Develop, implement & review sound preventive health programmes for promotion of better community health & safety practices.
· Institute, monitor & evaluate business health programmes to ensure compliance with statutory requirements, set standards and respond to emerging health trends.
· Review KQ health facilities to ensure optimal utilization and adherence to regulatory standards.
· Analyze & undertake regular reviews of the organization health status to facilitate strategic management decision-making in line with industry standards and best practices.
· Oversee the staff medical scheme for better risk management, in line with legal requirements & cost control. This includes oversight for the medical cover for the outstations in the KQ network.
· Lead on implementation of issues emerging from corporate health & safety committee for a safe work environment.
· Contribute proactively to the further development of the Corporate Wellness program for the Kenya Airways staff and their families
· Work in close consultation and co-ordination with quality & safety division to ensure consistency of policy and practice on safety issues as well as provide input as necessary on occupational safety issues.
· Benchmark all medical services and programs to ensure competitiveness and good practice.
· Liaise with regulatory bodies in Kenya and other relevant locations on all Medical and occupational Health matters to ensure compliance.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery (MBchB).
· Advanced degree in business or healthcare management is preferred
· Must be registered by MPDB
· Certificate in Health Management
Minimum Years of Experience
· 10 years of medical practice of which 5 should be in Health administration at a senior management level or a similar position in a company providing retail outpatient care
· Commercial experience developing and marketing outpatient medical products
· Possess strong business development experience, with strong commercial understanding, proven leadership skills
· Demonstrable senior leadership experience managing teams and relationship management with key stakeholders and partners
· Understanding of the aviation medicine would be an added advantage
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Possess the ability to build personal relationships with key business stake-holders and have distinguished hands-on operational skills.
· Planning and organizational skills
· Analytical skills
· Business Acumen
· Achievement Drive & Initiative
· Passion for Kenya Airways
· Industry and Market Knowledge
· Leading Courageously
· Living and Breathing Customer Service
· Leading Teams for Excellence
· Holding Others Accountable
· Collaborating as a Team
· Coaching and Developing Others
Work Life Cycle Manager
The Work-Life Cycle Manager role is a customer-facing position located within the HR Services Hub and is responsible for overseeing the handling of all HR transactions into the HRIS system in a timely and accurate manner and acts as a steward of the existing data. This position partners closely with the all levels of the HR team, processing inbound inquiries and transaction requests in compliance with the company’s policies, procedures and applicable regulations. The HR transactions are related to the employee life cycle including (but not limited to) onboarding, job changes, promotions and offboarding. This role requires the ability to understand, internalize and embrace new concepts and change and incumbent must possess strong customer service skills, a comfort level with technology, basic problem-solving skills, general HR and business knowledge.
· Review all incoming confidential inquiries and requests from internal and external parties and ensuring all required information is accurate and complete for entry into HRIS system.
· Allocate work and assignment to process HR system transactions (i.e. new hires, terminations, position changes, non-employee entries, supervisor changes, etc.) and generate needed outputs e.g. standardized letters and templates .
· Use multiple systems simultaneously to research and resolve confidential inquiries or transaction requests.
· Create and generate system-based reporting based on customer requests or to maintain data integrity.
· Oversee and maintenance of employee personnel files and documentation for the entire employee life-cycle including managing the HR registry .
· Provide documentation to support legal and audit requests, such as employee file records, hiring process information, system data, job or pay history, etc.
· Assist on HR Shard Services projects and perform other related duties as assigned.
· Provide leadership to the work-life cycle and the mobility & onboarding team.
· At least 3 years of generalist HR experience and Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or Technology preferred.
· System experience with HRIS systems including data entry, extracting data and using MS Office Suite and other business software to prepare reports and summaries preferred.
· Recognize and suggest operational improvements to enhance quality and efficiency.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to communicate issues and resolutions and provide the appropriate level of support with the ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management.
· High level of energy, personal accountability and integrity.
· Organized, multi-tasking, meeting strict deadlines, and must be able to work well under pressure using time management and prioritization skills.
· Comfortable with change and ambiguity.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively and professionally with all levels of the organization, in a team-oriented environment.
· High commitment to quality.
· Ability to effectively manage multiple conflicting priorities in fast-paced environment.
· Highly detail oriented; checks own work, verifies data before processing, keeps accurate records, organizes information effectively while maintaining a quick, efficient workflow.
· Basic understanding of general business functions and the relationship of inquiries received and the downstream impacts of HR Hub Services to understand and prevent errors/rework.
Head of Legal & Company Secretary
· Responsible for all legal matters for the company, providing legal support to the business, the Board and Senior management and minimize litigation losses and exposure for Kenya Airways PLC.
· Protect Kenya Airways PLC reputation through avoidance of regulatory actions arising from failure to adhere to good corporate governance and to proactively resolve legal disputes when they arise.
· Serve as the Company Secretary to the Board and Board Committees of Kenya Airways PLC.
· As a senior member of the C-suite team and the governance lead for Kenya Airways PLC, drive high standards of corporate governance and deliver key priorities and initiatives, aligned to the company’s focus on corporate governance.
· Provide advice and effective oversight over assigned responsibilities, ensuring compliance with relevant Group policies, local legal and regulatory requirements.
Legal and Corporate Governance Advisory
· Provide active leadership, be responsible and accountable for all legal matters impacting the Kenya Airways PLC.
· Be the central point in Kenya Airways PLC for all all litigation matters and manage all legal issues at the Group and country level in liaison with external legal counsel or third parties.
· In liaison with the business teams, use technical knowledge of the business offerings to provide sound legal and transactional advice to the company and to anticipate and communicate proactively on the impact of legal developments on the business.
· Manage the process of engaging external counsel, including effective instructions to external counsel and negotiating appropriate fee structures for all legal engagements.
· Lead in the proactive and strategic identification of legal risks at a Group and country level for the Kenya Airways PLC.
· Communicate identified risks to country and business stakeholders and influence stakeholders to improve legal risk controls and governance at a country level.
· Ensure robust legal support is provided across the Kenya Airways Group including subsidiaries and related entities.
· Responsible for rolling out Legal risk policies and procedures, ensuring that senior management fully understand the scope and requirements of Legal related policies and that all necessary dispensations are in place and current.
· Review and/or prepare all legal instruments entered into by the Group to ensure that the company’s interests are protected.
Board and Committee Governance
· Manage all aspects of the Board and Committee process, providing technical guidance and advice on internal governance requirements, regulations and Board processes.
· Attend and minute meetings, ensuring high quality minute taking on a timely basis with all actions clearly documented and proactively followed up.
· Provide advice / guidance to the Chair and CEO on governance procedures and best practice, ensuring compliance with the Company policies, regulatory requirements and applicable legislation.
· Work closely with the CEO and Chairman of the Board to facilitate any KQ Board approvals and draft/review resolutions in relation to proposed corporate actions and capital transactions, debt program renewals and reviews, including all major changes that require Board oversight.
· Lead on other various ad hoc projects as required for instance responding / inputting into regulatory consultations and matters impacting KQ from a legal and regulatory perspective.
· Ensure that exemplary governance standards are consistently maintained by KQ PLC in accordance with Group Governance Policy as well as relevant local laws, regulations and governance codes.
· Be a ‘trusted advisor’ to the directors and be their first point of contact for all corporate governance and board related matters.
· Develop and implement comprehensive tailored Board and Committee induction programmes for new directors and ongoing training and development for existing directors and the Board, aligned to internal guidelines/best practice and Board effectiveness requirements
· Work closely with the CEO and the Chairman to develop, maintain and execute robust Board succession plans.
· Maintain an up to date capability matrix and, if required, an independent director watch list.
· Ensure a robust process to manage conflicts of interest, outside business interests, associated disclosure obligations and internal approvals/ clearances.
· Proactively provide information of significance to any Independent Directors appointed, particularly in respect to public information about the Group or any matter that is likely to be reported in the public domain.
· Provide advice and work with the Chairman to ensure a Board effectiveness review is conducted on an annual basis and follow up actions are implemented.
· Manage the processes around directors’ appointments/resignations, year-end sign-off, annual fit and proper assessments/screening checks.
· Facilitating effective communication between the Board, shareholders and the stakeholders.
· Provide guidance to the Board and Board Members individually on their duties, responsibilities and powers; and how these should be exercised in the best interest of the Company.
· Ensuring that Board procedures are followed and reviewed regularly and that the Board complies with the law, rules, regulations and the Articles.
· Assisting the Chairman in organizing Board activities, including providing information, preparing agenda, issuing notices and preparing for meetings, Board evaluations, Board induction and development programs.
· Providing secretarial services to the Board including ensuring that the Board Work Plan is prepared and adhered to, circulating Board papers in advance of meetings, keeping a record of attendance at meetings and reporting to the Board the usage of the seal.
· Ensuring that the Minutes of the Board and the Committees served by the Company Secretary are promptly prepared and circulated.
· Manage, collate and prepare all documentation and communications required for general meetings.
· Updating corporate registers and overseeing the audit of the company registers and ownership structures.
· Maintaining and updating the Board and Committee Charters.
· Coordinating the Governance Audit process.
· Maintaining and updating the register of Conflicts of Interest.
· Ensuring that the relevant annual returns are promptly filed with the relevant authorities.
Group Corporate Authorities
· Provide advice to all stakeholders on corporate authorities and work closely with the senior management to ensure relevant board and committee approvals are obtained on a timely basis.
· Ensure that all senior managers clearly understand the authority framework and the process for obtaining approval authority and demonstrating evidence as appropriate to external third parties including Kenya Airways Group Authorized Signatories, Kenya Airways Group Delegated Authorities and Power of Attorney Policy.
· Assist with filing of documentation in other jurisdictions for updates to Kenya Airways PLC international locations and subsidiaries, business and trade registrations and licence renewals.
· Prepare legal and quasi-legal documentation such as proxy forms, powers/delegations of attorney, tender documentation and liaise with the notaries to arrange for documentation to be legalized.
· Ensuring the security of the company’s legal documents, including for example, the certificate of incorporation and memorandum and articles of association.
· Provide effective leadership, supervision, technical training and oversight of the team under the Company Secretary remit (Legal & Governance and Board Liaison office).
· Effective management and development of direct reports, including individual performance development, objective setting and performance support in relation to the delivery of day-to-day tasks and projects, and the building of strong relationships with the wider team and encouraging team collaboration.
· Drive and stimulate an environment where forward planning, prioritization and deadline management lead to efficient work practices and streamlined functional activities and processes.
· Within the KQ Group’s overall Enterprise Risk Management Framework assist the governance team establish and maintain an appropriate framework and procedure for monitoring, identifying, measuring, assessing, reporting and managing risks arising from Governance issues.
Skills, Competencies and Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have the following skills and competencies:
· A Bachelor’s Degree in Law or a related field of study from a recognized university. A postgraduate qualification in Law or business-related field is an advantage.
· Senior Lawyer and Advocate of the High Court of Kenya/Solicitor/Barrister (or equivalent) with at least 8 years senior management experience leading and managing teams.
· An experienced certified Company Secretary with expert technical knowledge and experience gained within possibly a listed company of substantial size and complexity with international operations.
· Proven track record of working at Director and Board level engagement.
· Experience of regulatory or legal environments and contexts in highly regulated industries.
· Detailed knowledge of Company law and proven corporate governance experience of Board and Committee meetings.
· Experience of working across geographies, organizations and at all levels.
· Strong leadership and influencing skills including excellent stakeholder management skills.
· Proven excellent organizational and forward planning skills are essential.
· Excellent attention to detail and interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels and between different cultures.
· Possess a flexible and collegiate approach with the ability to contribute to teamwork enhancement.
· Ability to prioritise workload and manage deadlines.
· A member of the Institute of Certified Secretaries (ICS) and of good standing.