Finance Officer – Kakuma (Kenya Nationals Only) – Kenya
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, Information counselling & legal assistance (ICLA), and water,sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
The NRC Kenya Programme is seeking to recruit Finance Officer; to provide operational Finance support, budget monitoring, grant management and reporting of donor funds in NRC Kakuma
· Implement financial systems and procedures according to Financial Handbook and other NRC policies at office level
· Prepare bank accounts and cashbox reconciliations
· Verify that vouchers and supporting documents meet NRC standards before payment
· Ensure timely payment of staff salaries, contractors, suppliers and other expenditures
· Ensure sufficient cash in the bank and in the cash boxes
· Prepare monthly financial reports and send all relevant documents to country office
· Ensure filing of all financial documents according to NRC standards
· Train and develop financial staff
· Support project staff in financial matters
· Review coding of transactions and supporting documents to ensure their correctness as per the approved budget codes.
· Ensure, in coordination with the relevant project staff, that project expenses are incurred consistent with grant agreements and budgets.
· Monitor expenditures, planned costs, committed costs and identify cases of budget over-spent and under-spent to provide relevant information and advice to the budget holders for informed management decisions.
· Ensure accurate maintenance of all files and transactions for grant requests, incomes, expenditures, accounting and closure at NRC Kakuma.
· Support Project Coordinators/Managers in proposal writing, and budget preparation and monitoring.
· Prepare periodic budget monitoring reports.
· Ensure that the Kakuma office consistently meets all donor and NRC rules and regulations pertaining to finance and procurement.
· Ensure that adequate financial management routines and systems are in place.
· Directly lead, manage and motivate the Finance Assistant (FA) – and ensure that she/he has a clear work plan and objectives and receive regular supervisions and reviews.
· Verify the accuracy, validity, legitimacy of all payments for completeness of financial documents, (purchase requests, work orders, pro forma invoices), proper coding and approval by responsible managers before payments are made. Ensure NRC creditors are paid promptly.
· Ensure weekly and monthly cash counts are made together with an independent senior manager. Work with Finance Assistant to compile cash requests into realistic cash forecast for review by Area Manager/Finance Coordinator and Finance Manager by the 10th of every month.
· Review and verify submitted weekly returns from the Finance Assistant to ensure correct coding before submission to the Finance Coordinator by every Monday.
· Prepare and send monthly Cash and Bank reconciliations to Finance Manager Nairobi after review by FC and AM Kakuma.
· Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA), level 2
· Experience from working as a Finance Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in a donor grants management role
· Specific familiarity with reporting to UNHCR, ECHO, BPRM, EC, SIDA, CIDA and DFID
· Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
· Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
· Knowledge about own skills/profile
· Knowledge of English
· Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
· Good financial analysis skills
· Understanding of the Kenya and Somalia environments
· Good knowledge of financial reporting systems
· Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
· Ability to work well with people from diverse cultures and communicate effectively.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Good computer skills in MS Office.
How to Apply