Admin Assistant Job in KenyaJobs and Careers 01:51
Libya is an important transit point for people in mixed migration flows. Each year tens of thousands of people pass through Libya and Egypt, in the hope of finding a safer or brighter future elsewhere.
The overall objective of the RMMS is to support agencies, institutions and forums in the West Africa, North Africa, the Middle East and the Horn of Africa to improve the management of protection and assistance response to people in mixed migration flows across these regions. RMMS is implementing the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4mi) to ensure an improved data collection and more authoritative analysis in the region.
To establish an innovative, ‘light’ and organic monitoring mechanism of mixed migration flows throughout Africa and Europe, RMMS will utilize informal monitoring methods using existing local agencies, key informants or localized stakeholders (community based agencies etc.) at key hubs and ‘hot’ spots through which migrant smuggling and migrant movement occurs. Innovative digital data gathering technology will be used to maximize veracity of data and GPS verification of data sources.
The purpose is to manage and analyze data compiled by 4Mi Monitors and support project implementation in order to support a wide range of agencies, donors, governments, departments and academic institutions by providing more concrete and authoritative information concerning mixed migration flows and trend changes in flows. The objective is to inform policy, debate and programmatic response; to increase understanding of conditions and changing realities on ground and protection deficits etc.
The 4mi Administrative Assistant will assist the 4mi project manager as well as the RMMS Coordinator in a wide range of activities as part of the overall strategy of the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat.
- Daily communication and support to field-based 4Mi monitors and various project partners, addressing issues and/or challenges, and a full of documentation of all interactions with the monitors and profiles of the monitors’ commitments.
- Monitoring 4Mi data submissions and working closely with Finance department to make timely payments for all field-based monitors.
- Liaison with established refugee/migrant-focused agencies who may need to access relevant data.
- Qualitative information made available on monthly and quarterly basis concerning conditions en route, violations, number of deaths and disappearances, protection risks, economy of smuggling and trafficking, migrant intentions and aspirations etc.
- Support the administration, operations, and management of the 4Mi project.
- Closely manage 4Mi Monitors, as well as review their monthly submissions, and process payments and provide timely feedback to field monitors.
- Liaise closely with partners, contractors, key informants, contacts and other interlocutors critical to the success of this project.
- Collaborate with the 4Mi Project Manager on the creation of a communications strategy for dissemination of 4Mi outputs.
- Create a recruitment and on-boarding protocol for new monitors.
- To work closely and collaboratively with RMMS staff in analyzing combined information sources.
- To minimally manage, analyze, and organize data and be adept at some analysis and interpretation of large quantities of data in Microsoft Excel.
- Any additional work tasks in support of the RMMS/4Mi management.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, including but not limited to international relations, public administration, business administration, political science, sociology, psychology, human resources, communication, social science, journalism, or international development.
- Experience in the migration, aid, journalism or communication sectors.
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated command of working with large quantities of data in Microsoft Excel and being able to conduct trends analysis.
- Understanding of IT systems, including Microsoft Office Suite and android-based smart phone settings and applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in a team and/or managing projects remotely.
- High level of organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to produce cogent analyses for a wide variety of audiences
- Maintains confidentiality on programming operations.
- Must work closely and collaboratively with RMMS and 4Mi staff in analyzing combined information sources.
- Enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits and finding new solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication aptitude.
- Written and verbal fluency in at least one of French, Arabic, Amharic, Oromo, Somali, and Tigrinya
- Experience in data collection systems, such as an enumerator or data collection team leader
- Experience with NGO financial systems and contracting.
- Creative and able to think outside the box.
- Capable of working under minimal supervision.
The 4Mi Administrative Assistant will report to the Project Manager – 4Mi.
Availability: December 2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract: Ten months’ contract with possibility of extension based on performance and funding.
National terms and conditions apply in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
How to apply:
Application and CV
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter.
The CV and cover letter should be combined into one PDF or Word file.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on under vacancies no later than 14 December 2016.
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.