Research Assistant Job in KenyaJobs and Careers 02:25
Location: Busia, Kenya
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant to support research within the ZooLinK suite of projects based in Busia, Western Kenya.
The incumbent will provide support for the surveillance programme for zoonoses across the animal health sectors in western Kenya and assist in surveillance of the targeted zoonotic pathogens.
The candidate will have a strong focus on the One Health approach.
The candidate will also have a dedicated interest in public communication of science and stakeholder interaction, which will be a key feature of the post.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia.
The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2016, an operating budget of about USD83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia
· Responsible for questionnaire administration aimed at zoonotic disease surveillance.
· Conduct interviews and focus group discussions with the different stakeholders in western Kenya
· Collect biological samples in the slaughter houses and livestock markets, under the guidance of senior project staff
· Collect and organize statistical data, geospatial data, and other information (e.g. livestock demographics) as directed;
· Manage biological sampling from peri-domestic species in the study area, including managing regulatory requirements for such work, under the guidance of senior project staff
· Responsible for electronic data entry and data entry tool development, including interactions with a commercial partner firm which developed the data capture technology
· Maintain relationships with different multi-disciplinary teams within the ZooLinK project in order to link the analysis with the other on-going studies.
· Assist in organizing stakeholder meetings and seminars, and (when applicable) participate in scientific workshops and conferences
· Take primary responsibility in managing the project’s public facing communications, including management of social media related to zoonoses and one health research activity
· BSc. Animal Health, Veterinary or related fields and an understanding of livestock zoonotic disease surveillance and One Health
· Atleast 2 years of relevant experience
· Demonstrable education and experience of working in Veterinary or/and ‘One Health’ related research activities
· Experience in data entry in electronic databases and working with a geospatial software (e.g. ArcGIS); conducting interviews and focus groups; managing communications tools for scientific communication; handling electronic data (entry and management); the livestock productions chains in Kenya
· Ability to communicate with the different study participants
· Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
· Veterinary or/and One Health educational background
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position for a 2 years fixed term period, based in Busia, Western Kenya
Job Level: This position is job level 2B, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 18 November 2016.
The position title and reference number REF: RA/AB/11/2016 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.