NGO Project Consultancy Opportunities in Kenya - PP GlobalJobs and Careers 15:04
Terms of Reference for Consultancy
Strategic Planning for the Reproductive Health and Rights Alliance Project
1. Introduction: Planned Parenthood Global (PP Global) is the international division of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), an international non-governmental organization working in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The Reproductive Health and Rights Alliance (RHRA) is an advocacy project of PP Global ARO that was formed in 2004 by a group of reproductive rights advocates to promote and protect sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) in Kenya.
The RHRA has established itself as a strong and credible champion for sexual and reproductive health and rights in Kenya.
After successfully engaging in advocacy for legal reform in the Constitutional review process, the RHRA is keen to now undertake legal, and health budget advocacy at national and community levels for the implementation of the provisions relating to SRHR while also monitoring Kenya’s commitments in international and regional level treaties under the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
PP Global is therefore seeking a consultant to develop a Strategic Plan for the RHRA is for the next five years.
2. Purpose: The overall objective of this consultancy is to develop a five year plan to ensure that the RHRA engagements respond to the present context and future challenges while pursuing a strategic engagement to achieve its stated objectives.
The strategic plan developed is expected to build on the previous success in its contribution the SRHR agenda in Kenya, so as to ensure that the RHRA is responsive to the needs and expectations of its members.
3. Description of Tasks ( Scope of Work): Aimed at facilitating internal and multi-stakeholder meetings and consultation processes, the scope of work of the consultant will include but not be limited to:-
a) Undertake a situational analysis of the work of the RHRA to date through inter alia the review of the vision and mission of the RHRA based on the PP Global strategic frameworks, past and current engagements of the RHRA since inception including the 2006-2010 and 2011 -2015 Strategic Plans, and other pertinent project documents;
b) Undertake a stakeholder mapping and analysis, and hold consultations with key stakeholders including RHRA and PP Global (ARO) staff;
c) Through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis , identify focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for the same;
d) Review the institutional capacity, organizational set up , financial and administrative arrangements for the effective engagement of the RHRA ( including the review of the organizational processes and decision making structures to recommend required changes to improve effectiveness);
e) Propose a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key result areas ;
f) Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the plan period;
g) Hold a stakeholder meeting to validate the draft Strategic Plan;
h) Finalize the Strategic Plan and submit to PP Global ARO.
a) A five –year Strategic Plan including Results And Resources Frameworks
b) Report on the processes including stakeholder consultations and workshops
5. Timeframe: The consultancy period is 25 days to be undertaken between October 1, 2016 and January 15, 2017.
Proposed Timeline of activities
- Undertake a situational analysis of the work of the RHRA to date through inter alia the review of the vision and mission of the RHRA based on the PP Global strategic frameworks, past and current engagements of the RHRA since inception including the 2006-1010 and 2011 -2015 strategic plans and other pertinent project documents.
- Number of days: 4
- Undertake a stakeholder mapping and analysis and hold consultations with key stakeholders
- Number of days: 5
- Through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for the same
- Number of days: 5
- Review the institutional capacity, organizational set up, financial and administrative arrangements for the effective engagement of the RHRA including the review of the organizational processes and decision making structures to recommend requires changes to improve effectiveness
- Number of days: 2
- Propose a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key result areas
- Number of days: 3
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the Plan period
- Number of days: 2
- Hold a stakeholder meeting to validate the draft five- year Strategic Plan
- Number of days: 2
- Finalize the Strategic Plan and submit to PP Global ARO
- Number of days: 2
Total Number of Days: 25
6. Institutional Arrangements
The consultant will report directly to the Associate Regional Director, Policy and Advocacy and work closely with any other person assigned to her/him.
PP Global ARO will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment including the PP Global Strategic Plan 2012-2016, the RHRA Strategic Plan 2006-2010 and 2011-2015, RHRA partner reports, M&E frameworks and any other relevant documentation that the consultant may require.
PP Global ARO shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the consultancy and will cover the logistical and administrative costs of this assignment.
- At least a master’s degree in a relevant field in the area of humanities or equivalent skills with demonstrable experience in strategic planning as noted below
- At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management;
- Knowledge and experience of sexual and reproductive health and rights issues in Kenya, in the region and globally;
- Demonstrable experience in working with non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders especially in the area of capacity and institutional development.
c) Skills and competencies
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- High level written and oral communications in English and Kiswahili;
- Must be results- oriented, a team player , exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners;
- Skills in facilitation and stakeholder engagement/workshops;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- Experience in research, policy and development, management and programming oriented work.
8. Application process
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications which should include the following
- Suggestions for modifying the envisaged approach to the consultancy in order to deliver more effectively ( if appropriate);
- Curriculum Vitae with full description of the applicant’s profile and expertise;
- Contact information for 2 references;
- A total project budget including a daily rate in Kenya Shillings and an estimated number of days to achieve the deliverables.
The applications should be addressed to email@example.com with RHRA Consultancy as the subject line and must be received by October 7, 2016.
Vacancy: Associate Regional Director - Service Delivery
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
Planned Parenthood Global (PP Global) is the international division of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) an international non-governmental organization working in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The Africa Regional Office (ARO) of PP Global seeks to recruit Associate Regional Director for Service Delivery.
Based on Planned Parenthood Global mission and goals, the Associate Regional Director, Service Delivery will provide overall leadership in the development, implementation, and long-term viability of PP Global’s client–centered sexual and reproductive health service delivery projects and; facilitate the efficiency and effectiveness of services so that PP Global’s partners in Africa can carry out their respective missions to provide sustainable quality services.
The position reports to the Africa Regional Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Program Development
- Works with the Country Team Leaders to identify country service delivery needs and new implementing partners; and in conceptualizing and designing new programs and projects.
- Provides technical guidance on the development of partners’ project plans and budgets.
- Collaborates with Country Team Leaders in the development of country plans to ensure service delivery programs are linked with advocacy programs.
- Works with the Africa Regional Director to develop regional operational plans and provide technical guidance on implementation of service delivery components.
- Works with the Country Team Leaders to ensure service delivery programs align with divisional and regional strategic plans, and leads country team meetings in ARO to ensure programmatic coherence, communication, and tracking against country plans.
- Contributes to strengthening systems particularly to support service delivery programs in the focus countries.
- Provides technical guidance on development of regional drafts of donor proposals.
2. Technical Assistance
- Provides guidance to POs on identifying and documenting partners’ training and technical assistance needs to strengthen partners’ programmatic, institutional and financial capacity.
- Consults with PP Global’s Director of Services and guide POs on providing training and ongoing technical assistance and documenting the processes of clinical provider training and support supervision, clinical quality assurance, and commodity security.
- Provide guidance to POs on training and management of community health workers for demand creation and community-based distribution of commodities.
- Works with Senior Program Officer Communications to effectively develop and implement program communication strategies to increase uptake of service delivery.
- Works with ARO staff to tailor in – country technical assistance and trainings to ensure the achievement of project goals through strengthening programmatic, organizational and financial capacity.
3. Program Monitoring and Reporting
- In collaboration with Associate Director-Monitoring & Evaluation, oversees overall program monitoring and evaluation through reports and on-site visits as well as ensuring accurate data for purposes of reporting, program improvement and donor accountability.
- Collaborates on program evaluation and other research activities.
- In collaboration with the Grants Accountants, oversees monitoring of program budget.
- Manages preparation and submission of regional drafts of donor programmatic and financial reports.
- Writes program updates and briefs.
4. Visibility / Collaboration
- Collaborates with Regional director to identify opportunities for new projects and collaborations
- Networks with key international organizations working in the area of Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) service delivery and develop collaborative relationships.
- Works with assigned regional staff to prepare reports, including donor reports and refunding donor proposals.
- Assists in developing fundraising proposals and concept papers for both partners and for PP Global.
- Supports the writing of articles and abstracts for publication and presents at conferences on behalf of PP Global and regional partners in order to raise the visibility and to develop a greater understanding of our work.
5. Supervision / staff development
- Ensures that new service delivery staff receive timely orientation and training in ARO and PP Global administrative procedures.
- Supervises service delivery regional staff in office and during site visits
- Conducts performance appraisals and contributes to decisions on staff recruitment in collaboration with HR Manager.
- Works with HR Manager to identify staff development needs and provide the resources to build staff capacity.
Education: Master's or advanced degree in public health, health administration, health systems management, international development, sociology or related field.
- Minimum of ten years experience in management of multi-country SRH programs in sub-Saharan Africa preferably with an international NGO, including experience in: program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation; developing and monitoring work plans and budgets; working with programs to identify and address training and technical assistance needs, preferably with a focus on rights-based sexual and reproductive health service delivery; and managing work with implementing partners.
- Ability to: work independently and as a member of a team; conceptualize programs; analyze and synthesize information; verbally communicate clearly and persuasively in English, including conducting presentations; facilitating workshops; anticipate, prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a timely manner with a keen attention to detail and follow-through; to independently or through consultation identify the root cause of a problem, determine a solution and systematically implement a solution.
- Must have excellent English writing skills and proficiency in using computer software including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint, statistical analysis software, and information databases.
- Must possess professional maturity and demonstrate good interpersonal, negotiation and decision-making skills, as well as cultural sensitivity.
Travel: Ability to travel nationally and internationally a minimum of 40% of time.
Other Requirements: Fluency in oral and written French, Swahili or other regional language is desirable.
How to Apply
Please send your application cover letter, curriculum vitae with three references and salary expectation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Associate Regional Director, Service Delivery as the Email Subject by 7th October 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Planned Parenthood Global is an equal opportunity employer.