Data Intern Vacancy in KenyaJobs and Careers 13:47
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places.
In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there.
Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position.
Position: Data Intern
Location: Turkana County
Mercy Corps implements high-quality, analytical development work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Kenya since 2008 and are presently implementing development programs across the Central, Rift Valley, North Western and Northern Eastern regions of Kenya.
We are currently in the second year of implementation of a 3-year Nike Foundation funded GIRL program, focused on improving livelihoods in Turkana and West Pokot (Kenya) and Karamoja (Uganda) regions.
The GIRL Program (Girls Improving Resilience with Livestock) aims to empower pastoralist adolescent girls to improve their livelihoods and personal agency, as well as increase the food security and resilience of their households and communities.
Mercy Corps seeks to hire the services of an intern to support data entry, field monitoring missions and program activities as assigned.
A brief description of the program, purpose of the internship, scope of work, required qualifications and other relevant information is presented as follows.
GIRL aims to empower 12,000 pastoralist girls, ages 12 to 19, to improve their livelihoods and personal agency, as well as increase the food security and adaptive capacity of their households and the resilience of their communities.
Purpose of Internship
The Intern’s main objective is to enter data collected during the GIRL Program’s enrolment activities, mentors and girls reports, and monitoring of Girl groups as assigned.
Supervised by the GIRL Program Manager, he/she will be responsible for collecting, entering and cleaning data, preliminary preparation of data to allow analysis for monitoring, evaluation and learning.
The Intern will support the team through the following activities:
- Responsible for updating program databases;
- Update the following program databases: Mentors and Girl enrolment, mentors reports, livestock distribution, post training and post distribution surveys, group attendance and savings, asset monitoring;
- Participate in daily debriefs, discuss challenges and any data entry issues;
- Fully participate in Girls training activities;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
At the completion of this internship, the intern will:
- Have refined skills in data collection, cleaning, labelling and entry into excel data bases
- Be able to create excel data bases and do simple data analysis
- Understand adolescent girls programming with ability to monitor activities
Deliverables: The Intern is expected to deliver complete, accurate, legible and cleaned databases.
- A recent graduate or a student in the final year of study undertaking a Bachelor’s Degree Business Administration, Statistics, Economics or related field from a recognized University or a combination of education and professional background with intermediate academic qualifications in the fields of livestock, rural development and community development focused on marginalized communities;
- Basic knowledge on Monitoring and Evaluation
- Experience conducting research and analysis from primary and secondary data sources
- Strong computer skills (Excel and Word)
- Previous database creation, data entry and data base maintenance experience
- Familiarity with the area of assignment including the livestock system, sound contextual knowledge
- Fluency in speaking local Turkana language is required
- Good interpersonal communication skills
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three references (including a University Lecturer) to email@example.com on or before 25th September, 2016 by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.