Kenya’s bid to fight UHURU/ RUTO’s ICC cases at the UN can NEVER succeed - ICCNews 06:22
Friday, the 10th of May 2013 - The International Criminal Court (ICC) has dismissed Kenya’s latest bid to get the cases facing President Uhuru Kenyatta, Deputy President William Ruto and radio journalist Joshua Sang terminated by the United Nations.
According to ICC Outreach Coordinator Maria Kamara, the UN lacks the power to terminate the cases;
“No investigation or prosecution may be commenced or proceeded with under this Statute for a period of 12 months after the Security Council, in a resolution adopted under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations, has requested the court to that effect; that request may be renewed by the council under the same conditions,” said Kamara.
Kamara’s response comes a day after it was revealed that Kenya’s Permanent Representative to the UN Macharia Kamau last week appealed to the UN to terminate the Kenyan cases on pretext that they will destabilize Kenya if they proceed.
Kamau also said that the fact that Uhuru and Ruto were given a strong mandate by the Kenyan people in the March 4th elections means that most Kenyans believe in their innocence.
However, lawyers for both Ruto and Sang have disowned the statements by the UN representative saying they are committed to the Hague process. Ruto also said that the statement by the UN rep does not represent the government’s position on the Hague cases.
ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, in her own remarks to the UN, has dismissed the statement by the UN rep as “a backdoor attempt to politicise the judicial processes.”
The Kenya DAILY POST